The current fencing is only temporary as there is a lot of demolition that has to be completed before the scaffolding and proper hoarding can be erected. Once this is up we will also be able to put up the mural we are working on with students from local schools.
Gas light valves and built in wooden desks are still in the upstairs rooms. These probably date from around the 1860s when Bridport School of Art moved into the building and the first floor space was divided into two.
Before this it had been a lecture room while the ground floor was a reading room. The Bridport News from 1864 also records that a small museum was introduced into the building – we think containing a geological collection and a number of stuffed animals! Electricity will provide the lighting in the future but the wooden desks will be preserved and kept in situ, as will the lovely shutters on the ground floor windows.