How was the building used after the war?
1954 – 2002
1945 – 50 Post war the Red Cross used the upstairs as a depot. The ground floor consisted of a reading room, a card room and a billiard room. However, local interest had declined and the Institute was running into financial difficulties. Responsibility for the building was handed over to Dorset County Council.
1952 – 1997 The building served as the town’s public library, until the library service relocated to new premises.
2002 – The building was declared unsafe and listed as ‘at risk’.