What happened during the war?
1939 – 1945
During the Second World War at least part of the Institute building was requisitioned for war purposes. The building was temporarily used by American troops stationed in Bridport before the Normandy landing in 1944. The reading room was used as a Red Cross recreational centre and the first floor was, for a time, used as a Quartermaster’s Store for the Borough Evacuation Scheme.